Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Review: Drug Honkey - Ghost in the Fire


Wherever possible, I aim to avoid using genres and bands to try and describe the music that I review. Instead, I attempt to use descriptive wording to try and recreate a mental picture of what the band or artist’s music might sound like. In the case of 'Drug Honkey - Ghost in the Fire' two thoughts initially came to mind:

1) A few years ago I took some acid that, unknown to me, had been quadruple dipped i.e. it was insanely strong! The result was an experience that I would compare to having my brain put in a washing machine, whilst struggling to make sense of my thoughts and surroundings for the best part of 12 hours. Conversations would go off on tangents mid-stream, never returning to their point of origin, as it couldn't be recalled. Unknown sounds and noises manifested from places beyond would randomly appear and disappear never to be repeated. It was a total head fuck! This experience is probably why I am the way I am now!

2) When I was a kid I used to have recurring nightmares of creatures with razor sharp teeth biting into my rib cage and legs. I also had similar dreams where instead of teeth they were machines with 6-inch metal spikes doing the same thing. The sensation was so real that I’d often feel the physical pain fading away once I woke up.

Now, if you can imagine both of those things slowed by 90%, thrown together in a concrete mixer, along with even measures of sludge and distortion, you’ll get a pretty good idea of what to expect from Drug Honkey - ‘Ghost in the Fire’.

Notable points on this album include the band’s organic take on “Twitcher” by Scorn, and the third track ‘Weight of the World’ with it’s chorus chant of “This knowledge makes you strong...”
If there was something I’d like to hear Drug Honkey do to enhance their sound, it would be for them to create more twisted, disturbing lyrics and then deliver them as manic yet decipherable as possible. This would compliment the music perfectly.

In saying that, the vocals on ‘Ghost in the Fire’ do compliment the music in a different way. That is, they are varied and come from a smorgasbord of different voices throughout the album - much like the sounds and instrumentation. There is always something going on in the music that you can’t quite identify, making the music of ‘Drug Honkey’ all the more interesting to listen to.

Check out Drug Honkey on Facebook to find out how to get hold of 'Ghost in the Fire'.

No comments:

Post a Comment